Flaky, fruity and fabulous, these STRAWBERRY TURNOVERS are sensational!
For the filling:
•2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
•1 tablespoon butter
•2 tablespoons cornstarch
•1 tablespoon cold water
•2 tablespoons granulated sugar
•1 tablespoon lemon juice
•½ teaspoon kosher salt
•½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the egg wash:
•1 egg, room temperature
•1 tablespoon water
•sanding sugar, to sprinkle
For the glaze:
•1 cup icing (powdered) sugar
•1 tablespoon strained filling
•1 tablespoon whole milk
1. Prepare the filling: Melt butter, add strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, salt and vanilla. Stir to combine and cook until bubbling. Pass about two tablespoons of the strawberry mixture through a fine sieve to yield 1 tablespoon of the strawberry mix. Set aside for the glaze. Mix water and cornstarch and stir into the strawberry mixture. Continuously stir while the mixture cooks and thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until cool.
2. Prepare the egg wash: Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl. Reserve.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Assemble turnovers: Roll 1 portion of pastry out into a 12-inch square and cut into 4 smaller squares. Add a spoonful of the cooled strawberry mixture to the
left side of each square of dough, leaving ¼-inch of edge untouched. Brush egg wash along the edge of the pastry and fold the square over to create a
rectangle, covering the filling within. Press the edge of the dough together using a fork.
5. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cut three small slits onto the top of each turnover. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
6. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until top is a light golden brown colour. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
7. Glaze: Stir icing sugar together with the reserved strawberry mixture. Add enough milk to create a smooth glaze. Transfer glaze to a piping bag.
8. When turnovers are cooled, drizzle the glaze in a zig-zag pattern over the turnovers.