THE PERFECT FRENCH TOAST
The secret to this French Toast recipe is the bread. Trust us and use challah and you will taste the difference. www.weekendatthecottage.com/perfect-french-toast-recipe
•1 challah loaf, 8 slices
•½ cup whole milk
•½ cup 35% cream
•4 large eggs, room temperature
•1 tablespoon honey
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1 pinch of nutmeg
•½ teaspoon kosher salt
•4 teaspoons butter
•4 teaspoons canola, vegetable, or corn oil
•pure maple syrup
•assorted fresh berries
1. Prepare bread: Slice challah into 1- to 1½-inch slices.
2. Prepare sugar and spice mix, if using: 1 teaspoon of mixed spices to sugar, stir to combine.
3. Prepare egg batter: Place eggs in a medium-sized liquid measure or bowl. Add honey, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and whisk to combine, making sure there are no streaks of egg white within the mixture. Add the milk and cream and whisk again to combine. Pour the egg mixture into a pie plate or shallow dish.
4. Cook the French toast: Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Bring a large non-stick skillet to temperature on moderate heat.
5. Place 2 slices of bread into the egg mixture letting it soak for about 2 minutes. Flip the bread and soak the other side for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of butter to the hot skillet and melt, then add 1 teaspoon of oil and stir or move pan to combine. Add the soaked bread and cook for 2 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Total cook time will be 4 minutes. Place the cooked French toast on the sheet pan and keep it warm in the oven. Fry the remaining soaked bread slices, wiping the pan and adding new butter and oil each time.
6. Serve hot with butter and maple syrup or berries and cream.