Healthy eating is more than the foods you eat. It is also about where, when, why and how you eat.
Be mindful of your eating habits
• Take time to eat
• Notice when you are hungry and when you are full
Cook more often
• Plan what you eat
• Involve others in planning and preparing meals
Enjoy your food
• Culture and food traditions can be a part of healthy eating
Eat meals with others
Make it a habit to eat a variety of healthy foods each day.
Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, whole grain foods and protein foods. Choose protein foods that come from plants more often.
• Choose foods with healthy fats instead of saturated fat
Limit highly processed foods. If you choose these foods, eat them less often and in small amounts.
• Prepare meals and snacks using ingredients that have little to no added sodium, sugars or saturated fat
• Choose healthier menu options when eating out
Make water your drink of choice
• Replace sugary drinks with water
Use food labels
Be aware that food marketing can influence your choices